Saturday, January 4, 2014

NFL Playoff Preview: Bracket Challenge

Okay, this has been a bit. Here are my Playoff Wildcard picks, I've already called my bookie and I couldn't be more excited (well, yes I could, but more on that later)...

SATURDAY:

Kansas City Chiefs (+1) over Indianapolis Colts 
--Indianapolis won the previous matchup between these teams, but to be honest, KC has not had much to play for in the second half of the season since their playoff fate has been certain for quite some time. I think the Chiefs manage to defeat the Colts and control the ball within the confines of Lucas Oil Stadium. If KC gets behind, however, Indy may be able to win the game, likely sending them to face Peyton Manning's Broncos team in Denver next week.

**We have to be concerned that the Broncos players are going to smoke too much legal marijuana within the next two weeks, right??**

Philadelphia Eagles (-2.5) over New Orleans Saints
--The whole narrative entering this game regards the alleged inability of Drew Brees and the Saints to put up points in cold weather stadiums. I think the success of Chip Kelly (who deserves Coach of the Year ahead of Andy Reid) is understated so far and I expect the Eagles to win the time of possession battle with a number of running and short-passing schemes that will gash a suspect Saints defense.

**Editor Update: After my former roommate Mike Thomas ripped me for saying Chip has a better case than Reid this year, I want to clarify: Kelly deserves the award ahead of Reid, but that does not mean he has done a better job than Bill Belichick or Ron Rivera, who should be the frontrunners. Reid's year has been successful in wins, but the Chiefs went 1-5 against playoff teams this year while winning with an easy AFC schedule.**


SUNDAY:

Cincinnati Bengals (+7) over San Diego Chargers
--The Bengals have had a very successful season so far and doubters can offer few reasons for a Chargers victory besides continuing doubts on Andy Dalton's ability to avoid mistakes on the football field. In their 17-10 victory in San Diego, Cincinnati was able to dominate the line of scrimmage and expect OC Jay Gruden to draw up a run-heavy gameplan behind Gio Bernard and BenJarvus Green-Ellis. In addition, temperatures are expected to dip even lower this Sunday, hopefully taking away the potency of the San Diego passing attack. As for the 7 points, Cincinnati has managed to cover almost every home spread this year and I'm willing to give up the points.

Green Bay Packers (+3) over San Francisco 49ers
--I honestly think the 49ers are the better pick here, but I love Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay. This pick may come back to bite me the most but it is just too hard for me to pick against the Packers at home in sub-freezing temperatures. As someone who now lives within the cozy confines of Northern California, trust me when I say that it is incredibly unpleasant to go back to the cold and snow (cough, cough, Cincinnati).

Grammy's 2013 Playoff Bracket Challenge
No Fucks will be given this weekend
Quick Backstory: My grandmother (on Marge's side) Mary Lou formerly worked for the IRS and ended up marrying a WWII hero who was on the USS Indianapolis. After a life of Italian-family nonsense and seeing her lovely grandson growing up, she now pretty much acts as the gambling czar of the Vontz-Kurlich-Sweeney families. For years she has singlehandedly run our week-by-week NFL Survival pool and has threatened to break some knees if needed on multiple occasions, especially when my Danny DeVito-esque Uncle Mike tries to cheat everyone out of their money. I filled out brackets for myself and Papa Burgundy so here they are in all their Bengal-biased glory (I like his the best). 

ALBERT IV BRACKET:
I refuse to imagine any scenario where the Bengals lose to the Patriots (let's not think ahead here, Albert). Not to say that the Patriots can't (or won't win), but I refuse to imagine it...let's all just thank Allah that the Steelers are not in the playoffs.
ALBERT III BRACKET:
This is my favorite bracket ever. The Bengals take out Tom Brady and Peyton, then meet San Francisco in the Super Bowl. Luke Kuechly's Panthers make it to the Conference Championship. The Bengals have lost to the 49ers twice in the Super Bowl, but this time they have no Joe Montana, so Burgundy is predicting a huge redemption for the Bengals in New Jersey (NOT New York) this year. 
Have a great week, 
Happy Football to all, 
And most importantly...
Who Dey

Albert

No comments:

Post a Comment