Tuesday, August 27, 2013

US Open Preview Picks: A Day Late, a Buck Short

Sorry, sometimes the Cincinnati Western & Southern Open feels so much like a Grand Slam tournament that we forget the US Open is just a week later. Starting Monday, the tennis season's final Grand Slam kicks off in Flushing Meadows, New York with endless storylines. For the first time in what seems forever, there has not been a two-time Major winner this season, with Novak Djokovic (Australian), Rafael Nadal (French Open), and Andy Murray (Wimbledon) each coming out on top. 


Those three remain to be favorites at the US Open, so join our tennis panelist Marc Pretorius once again as we do a quick preview of the Open. Check out the men's singles draw here..

Top Sleepers:

Marc:
Jurgen Melzer: this guys is the definition of a veteran. It seems like he has been on the tour forever. This Austrian is coming into the Open fresh off winning the title in Winston-Salem. He's the 29 seed but I could see him going to the round of 16, especially if Juan Martin Del Potro #6 is a little banged up.  Former US Open Champion Andy Roddick has also said that this dude parties crazy hard; I respect that.

Bradley Klahn (USA):  See below.  Getting to the round of 32 at the Open would be huge for him.

Albert:
Dimitry Tursunov (RUS): Screw it. Usually these Russian guys flop on their face right after a good showing, but I'm buying in while I can. The 32nd-seeded Tursunov could score an upset over MacArthur Genius Naomi Wallace-favorite Richard Gasquet #8 in the Third Round and may even make a run to the Round of 16. Or he could go down in a blaze of glory. Either one is fine with me. 

Roger!!!!: What's the point of doing these things if I cannot follow my heart? I was right with my bold prediction of Rafael Nadal winning Cincinnati, so I'm taking a shot here. The five-time US Open winner hasn't won at Flushing Meadows since 2008, but I'm picking him to take down Nadal in the Quarterfinals to make a Semifinals run, or further (see below). 

Upsets:

Marc:
This is a tough one to come up with since the draw is so big and it really is tough to guess where that big upset will come from.  After looking through the draw a couple times I think there's a chance that the big man, John Isner, goes down second round to the crazy talented Gael Monfils (FRA).  He has the serve to keep him in the match and has the defensive game to contend with Isner's fire power.  This will definitely be an entertaining match and you're guaranteed to see unbelievable shot making when Monfils is playing.



I was struggling with coming up with another upset but I'm going to throw this one out there just because I really want it to happen.  Bradley Klahn over Feliciano Lopez (Rosa would so disappointed in you, Marc). Lopez is the 23rd-seed and Klahn is a young American who graduated from high school in '08 and went to Stanford for a few years. I played against him back in the juniors and he's a great guy so I'm definitely pulling for him.  The crowd will be going nuts and I'm all about electric crowds.  And Lopez had laser surgery to remove all hair from his body, except for his face, weird...

**Editor's Note** And have you seen Lopez's Instagram?? Let's go Klahn!!


Albert:
I really like Marc's pick of Monfils over Isner as he will probably be able to tire out the towering American with his tireless play on the baseline (literally, if you ever see him reach the net, I owe you a Skittle). However, I'm going to go with Mikhail Youzhny #21 who will either face Del Potro (or Lleyton Hewitt) in his path to the Quarterfinals. Hopefully he has one more vintage freak-out in his system to inspire a deep run. 


Again, this may be an example of what I want to happen, and not what will happen, but this may be my last tournament ever to make this pick, so...STEP ON UP LLEYTON HEWITT! Everyone's favorite Aussie hasn't won a Grand Slam since 2002 but this may be his last run so expect him to put it all on the line at the US Open, where he won his first major in 2001. If he is able to run through Brian Baker (USA) in the first round, he could maybe (probably probably not) push 2009 US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro in five sets. Here's hoping.

Finals Matchup:

Marc:
I see Nadal going up against Murray in the US Open final.  Nadal has been playing better than anyone over the past year and Murray seemed to put it all together in the Majors recently. Oh yea, and Murray's the defending champ, but something's got to give...

Albert:
Novak Djokovic #1 v. Roger Federer #7. You didn't think he actually cared about Cincinnati this year do you? Or Montreal? It's Grand Slam or bust for Roger and I still have memories of Pete Sampras putting together a late-career run at Flushing Meadows, so why couldn't it happen for the gent from Switzerland? The looming Quarterfinal matchup against Nadal could lead to an epic match. If Nadal's knees take any twist or turn in the opening rounds, don't be surprised if Federer puts it all on the line for one last shot of glory. 

Champion:

Marc
:
I'll just start with this because it's the easiest to choose and doesn't require much thought this year.  Rafael Nadal.  I don't know how you go against him with how well he is playing.  I'm more sure about this than I am about the fact that I don't like Lenny Kravitz's high heel boots that he's wearing during the opening ceremony for the Open.

Albert:
I know exactly how I go against Nadal. Rafa's only win at the US Open came in 2010, which doesn't seem too long ago until you realize HE DIDN'T PLAY in the tournament last year. I think everyone has forgotten that Novak Djokovic was the consensus favorite at the start of the year, and I don't think that he goes three straight majors without a championship. He's my pick over Federer in the Finals in a likely 4-set victory. This Nadal thing may come back to bite me in the a$$ though...

Once again, feel free to hold us responsible for our picks, but know that only Marc can potentially be fired. 

Enjoy the tennis

No comments:

Post a Comment