Monday, August 12, 2013

Western and Southern Open Preview Extravaganza

Alright tennis fans (if there are any of you out there), one of the best weeks of the year is about to begin. Let's get weird.

AVIV: I am submitting this through an iPhone so cut me a little slack, not as many images or clips as I'd like.

Top Sleepers:

Marc Pretorius: 
Jack Sock (USA):  Don't sleep on Jack Sock.  This 20 year old out of Nebraska is nasty.  Huge, and I mean huge, serve and forehand.  As I mentioned in the last blog, Cincinnati is in the heart of America and Americans love playing here.  I see him getting to the round of 16 and upsetting Milos Raonic in the first round.  Raonic just lost in the finals of Montreal to my boy Rafa.
Jerzy Janowicz (POL):  I know what you're thinking.  "Who is this guy, and how the hell do you say his name?"  I don't know how to say his name either, but that doesn't matter.  This dude is 6'8" and 22 years old.  He got to the semifinals of Wimbledon and was a set away from getting to the finals.  He is the 16 seed in Cincy and is definitely under the radar going into next week.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him still in the mix next weekend.

Albert Vontz: 
Stanislas Wawrinka #9 (SUI): It's not a swing for the fences with Sesame Street names like Jerzy and Jack Sock. However, this looks like a tournament where Wawrinka can seriously make a run to the semifinals or further, especially if Andy Murray loses to the Youzhny/Gulbis winner in Round Two.

Id like to say I'm going with a two-win tournament for Brian Baker, but I am going with Ernests Gulbis (LAT) who may upset 2-seed Andy Murray and make a run to the Round of 16 or Quarterfinals. That being said, I also am a big fan of his racquet-smashing talent (see below), and that goes a long way.

Upset Alert:

Marc: 
Milos Raonic (CAN):  See above.  If his body doesn't rebound well from his finals run in Montreal he won't be in Cincinnati for long.
Andy Murray (GBR):  Andy has a bye in the first round but his potential second round opponent is Ernests Gulbis.  Gulbis is crazy talented and really fun to watch.  He has also taken Murray to the brink before.  Side note: Gulbis is a psycho so don't be surprised if you see him snap a few raquets, even if he is winning.


Albert
Murray #2 (GBR) : reasons above.
Roger Federer #5 (SUI) , but number one in all of our hearts: Only because this would be my personal hell, but I would not be shocked if American Mardy Fish took Roger out in the Second Round. I typically would agree with Marc about Roger being dangerous with some rest before the W&S Open, but he's probably thinking about a different Open in August. Plus if Mardy is able to keep his foot from falling off in his first round match, he may push Federer deep at a court he has always played well on. 

Who to Watch:

Marc : 
Brian Baker (USA):  If you know this guy's story it's impossible not to cheer for him.  This American was the #2 junior in the world when he was 18, turned pro, and then has essentially ever since.  He gave up tennis for a while and was the assistant coach for Belmont.  I first heard of him when we played against Belmont when I was at Xavier.  In 2011 he decided to take one more shot at pro tennis and got all the way to 52 in the world, making some quality runs at big tournaments.  This January, at the Australian Open, he injured his knee again and needed surgery.  Cincy will be one of his first tournaments back.  Can't wait to pull for him here.

Albert:
Aside from Brian Baker, Ryan Harrison, and the other young Americans, I would check out Richard Gasquet #8 (FRA) who could put together a fun Quarterfinal between himself and Novak Djokovic.

Who I want to win:

Marc:
I always want my boy Rafa [Nadal] to win.  Unfortunately, he never does well in the Queen City, and he just won Montreal.  Guys who win the week before Cincinnati never win here.

Albert:
In a way, I would like Rafa to win the W&S Open if only because his knees would detach from his body after two straight hard court championships. And since I cannot root for Lleyton Hewitt or Fabrice Santoro this year, I'm pulling for a Federer v. Del Potro final with either winner making me happy.

Championship Picks:

Marc:
The only reason I don't want to pick this guy to win is because it's gonna give Albert a hard on, but I'm really feeling it.  Roger Federer.  Federer isn't the safe pick anymore because he is clearly the 4th best player in the world now, but I'm picking Fed because he didn't play in Montreal and has been in Cincinnati for a week.  Every time he skips Canada, he wins Cincy.  Simple math.

Rafael Nadal (ESP): sorry to flip flop on this whole thing with Mark, I'm like 80% super cereal here. I think Rafa has the edge over every player in the field except for Djokovic and Federer. If Djoker fails to make the finals, Rafa could ride to the championship. With his injury troubles, I actually think Rafa has more incentive and motivation to prove he can play like a man who should be in his prime at this stage of his life. Plus, the weather in Cincinnati looks to be tame which may help him conserve energy. 

Finals Matchup:

Marc: 
Federer vs. Del Potro:  I already made Fed my champion, and I'm picking the Argentinian to be his opponent in the finals.  Del Potro had a great run at Wimbledon and even though he is the 7th seed he is playing as well as anyone right now.

Albert:
Call this a jynx pick if you want, but I'm going with Rafa Nadal v David Ferrer #3 in an all-spaniard matchup that will make Rosa very happy. I think Ferrer is a very dangerous opponent this week and he will likely need to wear down Del Potro to make it. (I'm completely rooting for Fed vs Del Potro on the inside.) 

Match of the Tournament:

Marc:
For the first time ever in Cincinnati I really see the potential to have a Federer vs Nadal matchup in the quarterfinals.  Nadal usually loses early but he says his knee is feeling really good and this is the first time they have ever been in the same quarter of the draw here.  I would absolutely love to see, in my opinion, the two best players ever battle it out at the Western & Southern Open.

Albert:
Nothing else is on my mind. Federer vs Nadal, god I hope this happens and I wish I could be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment